Go Natural’s 10 Step Nutritional Program
Converting your kitchen to the POWER HOUSE engine room of your family!
These valuable lessons were learned over a period of 14 years by the founder in his journey to recover from MS, as he researched and verified the rationale behind a wise diet and life style. Please visit the valuable link – NUTRITIONAL LIFE STYLE SELECTION. This step would arguably constitute the most important decision you’ll ever make regarding diet and healthy living. There are so many ‘look and feel good’ options presented today,one must be equipped with the necessary knowledge in order to make a wise, informed decision. This will prevent you from the downward spiral of being a nutrient deficient and mal-nourished guinea-pig.
To live healthily in the modern urban environment, surrounded with quick-fix solutions, altered food, chemical preservatives, dirty water, and other ‘evils’, we at Go Natural developed these 10 basic guidelines to gather and prepare fresh, nutritious and scrumptious foods that will optimally nourish you and your loved ones -much like our ancestors once did.
Our book, Go Natural – Wisdom for Healthy Living discusses the 10 healthy eating essentials in detail, yet not necessarily in in order of priority. The purpose of this page is to briefly supply solutions to the challenges we face as a result of modern, nutrient empty, processed, refined and chemical laden foods. Our book is a must read that exposes the hidden dangers and deceptions in our society, and presents proven and affordable alternatives.
I can assure the reader, that it is and will be an exciting, educational, empowering and enjoyable journey, for you and your whole family, as you embark on this life altering journey of healthy eating and living!
Go Natural’s 10 Step Nutritional Program made practical, affordable and available in your home.
The principal and affordable staple food on this planet, without a doubt, would include one of the following food sources or a combination of them.
- Cereal porridge
The question is: Why then has ‘grain’ or ‘wheat’ become a virtual swear word in health circles today? We will briefly address this question here, but for more detail, please refer to these short articles or read my book.
Grain has been the primary staple food throughout history. We should therefore expect it to contain all the building blocks required for proper nourishment.
The following 5 reasons for eating a well – balanced diet, is well explained in my book. They are:
- Self growing,
- Self maintaining,
- Self healing,
- Self protecting and
Considering the above vital functions, it is imperative that the nutrients supplied in grains, are optimally utilized, retain their natural form, and remain unrefined and free from any chemicals or preservatives.
Most grains do not contain all 8 essential amino-acids, thus it is not considered a complete protein. Therefore, in the absence of animal protein, one should complement a grain meal with legume, e.g. humus. Furthermore ensure that the building block of the grain, the germ, is present.
Why are grains sleeping beauties?
Most grains originate from grasses, many different varieties, shapes, sizes and characteristics. The grain plant starts with a seed, then it sprouts, grows, matures, and reproduces. The grain seeds are the end product. If seeds are planted in mineral and nutrient rich soils, it will sprout, grow and absorb all those beautiful minerals and building blocks from the soil. The grain plant will mature and it will convert the absorbed and processed nutrients to seeds, for reproduction. Seeds, are super nutrient rich foods.
However, when grains are milled into flour or rolled into a flake, the grain kernel is destroyed (dead). On top of that once the seed is broken the inner parts is now exposed to oxygen. Flour or cracked grain will oxidises, much like a peeled apple turning brown. The solution is to mill, roll and process on demand, i.e. only when needed, and consume immediately.
There are mainly two healthy grain processing methods, i.e. to stone-mill a grain into flour, or to flake or role it flat.
Mill and roller picture.
Below is the anatomy of a grain kernel, showing its essential role as a staple food.
The whole grain is rich in vitamins, bio-available minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids (building blocks for protein), enzymes, phytochemicals, antioxidants, carbohydrates and aromatic elements. It is virtually a complete food.
A grain kernel consists of three main components.
The germ is the embryo or heart of the grain, from which a new plant sprouts. The germ contains all the substances or building blocks necessary to produce a complete plant, which explains its extraordinary nutritional richness.The germ consists of proteins, essential fatty acids, vitamins B1, B2 andB6, niacin and folates, vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant, minerals, enzymes and other nutrients that are essential to carbohydrate and fat metabolism, but because it is the component of grain that spoils first, once processed, it is usually removed in the modern milling process, but sadly, in some cases, even in commercial stone milling, in order to obtain a longer shelf life. Fresh whole food stone-milled flour has a short, 3 day shelf life before the essential fatty acids turn rancid.
Microscopically, bran consists of six layers of cells, which form a hard skin that protects the inside of the kernel. It is rich in proteins, vitamins, especially the B vitamins and minerals. Because it is protected by the bran, a grain kernel can literally be stored for decades under the right conditions.
The endosperm is the biggest part of the grain. It is the energy source for the shoot when it first begins to grow, until the plant can produce its own energy through the process of photosynthesis.
The endosperm is the part of the grain used to produce refined white flour and contains the amino acid gluten. White flour is used for modern food products such as white bread, pasta and pizza dough, cakes, cookies, as filler in sauces and in many more applications in processed foods. Processed and refined foods should be avoided at all cost, if a healthy and fit lifestyle is to be enjoyed.
Despite grain products throughout the centuries being consumed as a staple food, sadly, thousands have become totally intolerant to wheat and gluten. As a result most people today have come to view grain products negatively. ‘Gluten’ or ‘wheat’ has become a virtual swear word in health circles! They observe that something is wrong, that white flour products are fattening, and that it leads to a host of digestive problems, allergies, heartburn, and others. Consequently many steer away from and avoid grain products, period.
At GO NATURAL we find that,when previously wheat- or gluten-intolerant individuals start to enjoy freshly milled organic whole-grain or wheat, most intolerances disappear immediately, plus they enjoy the added benefits of losing weight, while gaining vitality.
White flour is almost completely devoid of nutrients and fibre, and should be strictly avoided by anyone who wants to remain in good health. Today, in most modern milling practices, with the new roll milling process, the germ and the bran are separated and removed from the grain. In this process ± 90% of all the nutrients are lost. Only the carbohydrate rich part, the endosperm, is left. Chemical preservatives, such as Calcium Propionate, are added to ensure that the bread does not turn mouldy, so ensuring long shelf life, suitable for a convenience-driven modern society.
When a refined flour product is eaten, the results are usually as follows: Within ± 1 hour the carbohydrate part is digested and absorbed as blood glucose. It spikes the blood sugar level. The pancreas get activated as the body is not designed to handle the flood of excess blood sugar. The pancreas work over time to secrete insulin, in order to get rid of the quickly elevated blood sugar level and often stores it as fat. The sad part is that the body wants to continue to self –maintain, -heal and –protect, but it cannot find the adequate building blocks to do so, hence the starving body sends out another hunger signal, i.e. the survival reflex to eat again. Craving is a natural and good response of the body in order to get nutrients at cellular level.
Furthermore, commercial grains today, more than likely contain trace elements of pesticides and herbicides, if it is not truly organically produced, and once harvested, grains are fumigated in a silo with phostoxin or methyl bromide.
Eating empty, nutrient deficient and chemically preserved white flour products and foods, is a serious health risk and in the long term may cause weight gain, obesity, diabetics, constipation, lack of energy, tooth decay, osteoporosis, ADD, slow healing, and food sensitivity which manifests in the form of tummy cramps, spastic colon, headaches, allergies, acne, and skin irritations. The list goes on.
Be sure to verify, when purchasing stone milled flour, that the germ has not been removed before the milling process. True and freshly stone milled flour has a very short (3 day) shelf life. Thus always refer to the milling date to confirm.
In summary, some main benefits of possessing a home stone mill:
- Freshness of fragile nutrients in the germ is guaranteed.
- It is indeed whole-food, as a home stone mill does not separate any parts of the grain.
- The source is manageable.
- Freedom and peace of mind.
Secondary benefits of possessing a home stone mill:
- Easy and convenient selection of your favourite grains and grain mixes,
- Selecting your desired coarseness,
- Complete self-sufficiency,
- Educational for the children,
- Saves time and effort to go to a store,
- Saves gasoline and much more.
Not to mention the fact that grains can be stored for long periods of time.
It is clear that grains can be enjoyed if it is processed and prepared with traditional wisdom, i.e. organic, as a whole food and fresh.
The body consists of ±70% water. One of the very important functions of water is to wash out toxins from the body. But how can water clean the system if water itself has become an actual source of toxins today? As one of my favourite sayings go, ‘How can you de-tox if you continuously re-tox?’ With polluted water, the body becomes a very expensive filter with devastating effects as some of these impurities accumulates in the body. Water must be pure before it enters the body. Pure water is the no 1 basic need of every person.
However, today most people live in cities and/or big towns and use municipal chemically treated water.
The water sources (rivers, dams, lakes, etc) could be polluted with:
- Sewerage, accompanied with all the bad bacteria and parasites.
- Industrial toxic waste chemicals
- Fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides
- Automotive pollutions from brake-pads and discs, tyre compounds, oils.
- Heavy metals.
- As water is the “mother of all solvents”, this list is almost infinite.
Functions of pure water in the body
Below we address the body’s cry for pure water plus some of the main functions of water in the body. Daily we need pure water, as it:
- Flushes and dilute toxins
- Transports nutrients
- Regulates body temperature
- Removes waste products
- Lubricates joints
- Cushions bones and joints
- Improves cell to cell communications
- Is essential for all cellular functions
Water purification is one of the biggest businesses in the health industry. Everybody claims that their purification process is the best! Companies make grandiose and often false claims in promoting their products.
During my recovery journey, I was in a position to compare a KDF-carbon filter with distillation. I learnt by observation and experimentation, that the KDF filter removes mainly the volatile compounds with the carbon, as this is what carbon filters are renowned for, and it does so mainly for de-chlorination purposes, which it does well. However, it is ineffective in removing dissolved chemicals. The foul smell and look of the residue plus the TDS meter readings before and after filtration is enough proof to show the purified water with the KDF carbon filter is not effective.
I have learnt that if a filter truly works, it will explode within a couple of weeks, considering the amount of residue that stays behind after every distillation cycle. A water distiller, on the other hand, is not a filter. It is a purifier of which you never need to replace blocked or ineffective main filters, but only remove and clean the residues in the boiling tank. The secondary filter, needed to polish the distilled water before percolation, is a mere carbon bag, (inexpensive too) that needs to be replaced. There is also a gaseous vent on a distiller to remove the bulk of the Volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) that could rise with the vapour.
ONLY distillation will remove all bacteria, industrial chemicals, sewerage, toxins, bad tastes, odours, as well as any other undesirables from your water! Bottled water is ground water and as a result can be highly contaminated with effluent waste, animal faeces, chemical toxins, etc. Carbon filtered water has only had the chlorine removed, but still contains bacteria, parasites, chemicals, etc. which can infect you.
Distillation uses the natural hydrologic cycle of evaporation (the toxins, chemicals, inorganic minerals and pollutants stay behind) and condensation.
Simply boiling water on a stove will kill biological contaminants such as bacteria, parasites and viruses after about 20 minutes of boiling. However boiling water will not rid the water of salts, heavy metals, or other chemicals. As the pure water evaporates into steam, the water left behind in the kettle becomes MORE concentrated with contaminants, making it more dangerous to your health.
Top quality bottled water could actually be produced by distillation. However, because bottled water is processed in a variety of ways and is largely unregulated, quality is not always assured. Besides, distilled water has a wonderfully sweet, pure and round taste – far better than most other water sources, and is much more economical too!
Some may wonder whether the removal of certain minerals for the water, poses a problem. Not at all. Water is not a source of nutrition; but rather cleansing. Your body obtains minerals much more readily from foods. Only a plant, by the process of photosynthesis, is capable of converting inorganic minerals to organic, rendering it useful for human consumption and processing.
The question thus remains, where do we get our minerals from? Water is the mother of all solvents. At high speed/energy water hits the crust of the earth and it starts to dissolve the crust of the earth, matter, minerals inclusive. The minerals, with the water, gravitate to the root of a plant. Plants, so to speak, absorb/eat minerals through the process of osmosis. In simple terms, the plant basically adds an enzyme and more to the mineral, converting it from a dead inorganic mineral to a living mineral.This is the cycle. Water dissolves the minerals and water is the medium for a plant to absorb the mineral. Plants turn inorganic minerals into the right format, and ultimately we eat the plants and/or the plant eaters. But if I, for example, eat a plant eater like a lamb, I basically eat the plants that the plant eater ate to build his body. Thus meat is a more condensed and complete food source which originates from the rock or soil.
What about borehole water?As discussed, water is the mother of all solvents, i.e. our best dissolving agent. Water under the crust of earth is surrounded with and exposed to minerals in its condensed form, rock. Thus ground water under the crust of earth continuously dissolves the rock that it is exposed to. This makes ground water generally saturated with various and plenty types of minerals.
The question is, is inorganic minerals a good or a bad thing? I think trace minerals in moderation is a good thing. However borehole water is saturated with too many of these minerals. This could lead to kidney stones, hardening of the arteries, arthritis and many more unnecessary conditions related to excess inorganic minerals.
I am therefore cautious to use borehole water. I will use borehole water under the following conditions:
- The TDS reading should be less than 50 ppm.
- The borehole suction point should be somewhere higher than any human activity, or out of reach.
What do all the reputable health experts with proven testimonies say about distilled water?
- “We believe that only steam-distilled water … should be consumed. They should be used not only for drinking water, but in cooking as well, because foods such as pasta, rice and all beans can absorb chemicals found in unpurified water” p41,Nutritional Healing, PA Balch, CNC &* James F. Balch, M.D.
- “Chlorination, the most widely used method of killing bacteria in water, is known to produce powerful carcinogenic residues, including dioxin. Studies have shown that the risk of bladder cancer is doubled if you drink chlorine – treated water. Chlorination also destroys vitamin E in the body, which can lead to heart problems and has been linked to clogged arteries.” 20 POWERFUL STEPS to a Healthier LIFE, p61, Dr Richard Schulze.
- “Probably the purest waters available today are those purified by distillation….” Optimum Nutrition for Optimal Health, p120, Thomas E. Levy, M.D., J.D.
A distiller will save you lots of money when compared to bottled water, not to mention the cost of carting the water around, coupled with the uncertainty as to whether your water is truly clean and safe? Furthermore, plastic bottles are a huge pollution factor.
Having a water distiller is a small premium to pay for drinking the preferred water, with peace of mind and plenty savings for years to come.
The advantage of juicing raw vegetables lies in separating the juice from the fiber, thus retaining the bulk of nutrients in the juice. Because the fiber has been removed, these fresh, living nutrients in the juice can enter into the bloodstream and that at cellular level, within minutes, without the time consuming and energy-depleting process of digestion.
Our modern toxic lifestyle demands that we nutritionally supplement with juicing. Some people even call it a medicine. You can literally “make your juicer your drug store.”
Juicing is the most natural, fast and cost effective way to get nutrients at cellular level, in order to:
- Regain and boost your health and vitality
- De-tox cells
- Boost your immune system with mega loads of antioxidants
- Purify the blood
- Accelerate healing with ample building blocks to replace damaged cells
- Spike the energy levels
- Nourish the body with nutrients in synergy
- Hydrate the body
There are plenty of different juicer types and brands, using different processes, on the market today. As with most products out there, there are horses for courses. We will explain them all in order for you to make an educated and informed choice, when purchasing a juicer. There are basically 5 different juicer types which we will elaborate on.
THE 5 JUICER types:
There are basically five different juicer technologies.
- Single Auger juicers
- Twin Gear juicers
- Twin Gear technology combined with 2 low pressure Augers – The ANGEL juicer.
- Centrifugal juicers, we do not stock them, reasons will be explained.
- Hydraulic juicers, we do not stock them, reasons will be explained.
The KEY PRINCIPLE of JUICING
There are always two key stages in any juicing machine
- Firstly to make a pulp (the juice and fiber mixture),
- Secondly the pulp must be dried out. At this stage the juice is separated from the fiber. It is crucial to note that the quantity and quality of the juice, is completely dependent on stage one. A juicer cannot extract juice out of chunks of the juicing substrate that is still solid.
1. Single auger technology juicers:
This technology is an entry level juicer. All the working parts is mostly a polymer (plastic).
The single auger of this juicer has two functions:
- To pulverize the juicing product and,
- To squeeze/apply pressure and then to extract the juice at the end of the auger at high pressure.
The pulp made by a single auger juicer is noticeable chunky with solid pieces in the pulp. Chunks are a sign of inefficiency plus unused juicing substrate, thus less juicing yield.
Single auger juicers are also called ‘masticating’ juicers. The auger technology works as follows; the juicing product is forced with the rotating juicing auger from a big volume to a small volume. Grating the juicing substrate between the auger and juicing screen. This auger juicing process is not a constant volume process, meaning that the auger rotates in a tapered shape reinforced juicing screen, shaped as a tapered cone – from big to small. The pressure builds up as the juicing substrate moves down the taper and only a percentage of the juicing product bursts and releases its juice.
Since single auger juicers are mainly made of plastic materials, the clearances between the working parts; the auger and the juicing screenare bigger. Thus the single auger process loses pressure more regularly. This is another fundamental reason why single augers juicers is less efficient in juice yield. Plus under working pressure these plastic components expand more than metal, resulting in even bigger clearances. The juicing yield is below average. Juicing yield is as good (or poor if you will) as with the centrifugal juicers, but unlike the latter, it is not aerated and can be stored.
The advantages of single auger juicers:
- Quiet operation.
- It can juice wheat grass and leafy vegetables.
- It is more versatile than the centrifugal and hydraulic juicers.
- One can store the juice for up to 24 hours.
The disadvantages of single auger juicers, in summary:
- They are frustratingly slow.
- They need much more juicing preparation, since it has a small in-feed and the juicing substances need to be chopped to size to fit through the in-feed.
- Disappointing juice yield, as with the centrifugal juicers.
- Not as durable, as all the parts are made of plastics.
2. TWIN GEAR juicers.
The twin gear juicing technology is a far more advanced juicing process. The twin gears are finely engineered with very tight clearances which allow for up to 25% better juice yield than the single auger juicers.
The twin gear juicers have either a 2 or 3 stage juicing action:
1. Stainless Steel (SS) gear section phase:
During this phase the juicing substrate is made in a very fine pulp ready for the juice to be squeezed out.
2. Screw press phase:
To increase the pressure at constant volume and to squeeze and extract the juice from the fine and pulverized pulp.
3. Knuckle press phase:
For improved pressure and juice yield, only available in the new model GS Exclusive 5000.
Because of the precision machined twin gear construction, the gears are extremely effective in pulverizing the juicing substrate. The juice is extracted at constant volume (no taper from big to small). It has a unique pressure relieve valve, fitted onto the front of the juicing chamber. All the twin gears of the twin gear technology group are parallel; this gives a constant volume process with minimal internal friction and heat build-up. The only friction occurs when the already dry pulp exits the juicing chamber.
The advantages of TWIN GEAR juicers:
- Quiet operation.
- Less juicing preparation. As the in-feed chute is bigger, it will take a big carrot without chopping.
- Much better juice yield than the single auger and centrifugal juicers.
- It is more versatile than the centrifugal, hydraulic and single auger juicer.
- Juice can be stored for up to 48 hours.
The disadvantages of TWIN GEAR juicers:
- Although it is durable juicers, and the twin gears are made of surgical stainless steel, most of the parts are made of plastics.
3. ANGEL technology
Having twin gear technology combined with 2 independent low pressure augers, the Angel juicer is superior, in that the Angel juicers is at present the only juicer on our planet that combines both these juicing technologies. It is truly unique and the most advanced and effective juicer on the market. It is very well designed and built, and in my opinion has no rival among juicers.
The Angel juicer is in a class of its own, in terms of:
a) Supreme juicing yield efficiency, between ±70-90% by mass.
b) Combining the twin gear technology with 2 low pressure augers
c) Being precision made, with surgical Stainless Steel that provides much smaller clearances. Smaller clearances always result in higher pressure and much better juice yield.
It literally produces almost double the amount of juice as with single auger and centrifugal juicing technology. But it does not stop here. The Angel and Green Star juicers use the twin gear technology that makes a fine pulp of the whole juicing substrate. Thus you extract juice from a broad and complete spectrum of all the nutrients in the juicing substrate. However with a single auger and centrifugal juicer,one extracts juice mainly from the softer watery core parts. A chemical analysis of a similar size juice sample (same batch of carrots) from all four of the 4 different juicers was made and the nutritional value of the Angel juicer three times exceeds that of the centrifugal or single auger juicers.
The advantages of Angel juicers:
- Much more juice, with far more nutrients
The nutrients next to the outer skin of the juicing substrates are superior in nutrients, and the Angel is perfectly equipped to extract juice, even the toughest of tough juicing substrate.
- Superior rich taste and colour of the juice.
- Quiet operation.
- It can make seed juices from soaked seeds.
- Less juicing preparation, since it will also eat a big carrot without chopping.
- Much better juice yield than the twin gear, single auger and centrifugal juicers.
- It is more versatile than the single auger, hydraulic and centrifugal juicer.
- One can store the juice for up to 48 hours.
There are no disadvantages!
4. Centrifugal juicers:
These juicers work on grating the juicing substrate to a very fine consistency and then parallel to that, it spins the juice that is exposed on the outside of all the grated particles with high centrifugal speed and force. This process introduces oxygen bubbles that cause a foam broth that is always evident on the surface of the juice. Juice made with a centrifugal juicer does not last and because of the introduction of plenty small and microscopic oxygen bubbles, the freshly made juice oxidizes very quickly. Normally the juice turns brown within ± 10 minutes. Even if the juice made from a centrifugal is consumed immediately, some of the nutrients would have already been oxidized, due to oxidization during processing.
The advantages of centrifugal juicers:
- It is normally a bit faster than the other technology juicers.
- It is inexpensive.
- Some have big feeding shoots, but unfortunately, only suitable for fruits and root vegetables.
The disadvantages of centrifugal juicers:
- Oxidization – The juice discolors and loses taste very quickly. Centrifugal juicers make use of an ultra-high speed (± 6000 RPM) centrifugal process. The single auger, twin gear juicers and the Angel juicers only operate at a fraction of that speed, between 84-110 RPM. Some brands from a marketing point of view claim that their centrifugal juicer runs at slow speed (2 500 RPM), but is still very high, plus the process still has its limitations as discussed earlier.
- This juice cannot be stored.
- It cannot make ultra-healthy leafy green juices, e.g. wheatgrass juice, broccoli and other leafy vegetables juices.These type of juicers are predominantly used to juice fruit, but fruits today are most probably hybridized, and contain too much sugar. They also lack nutrients due to the artificial fertilizers, unlike the fruit our predecessors would have enjoyed. The issue is nutrition.
- It can only juice small quantities at a time, because the pulp bucket needs relatively regular emptying, however some of the newer models expel the pulp.
- The juicing yield is very poor.
- These juicers are a mission to clean.
- They don’t last, i.e. durability is not as good.
- They are noisy.
- They are not versatile as some of the other models, which can also produce nut butters, sprouted grain dough, frozen fruit sorbet’s, raw soups, etc.
5. Hydraulic juicers
This process works with a hydraulic press system. It first grates the juicing substrate and then squeezes the pulp with a hydraulic press.
The advantages of hydraulic juicers:
- Very good juice yield. However, it is approximately 10% less than that of the Angel, but superior to all other technologies.
- It runs quietly.
- Minimum friction and oxidization.
The disadvantages of hydraulic juicers:
- They are horrendously expensive, ± 7 times the price of a Green Star or ± 3 times that of an Angel juicer.
- As with central fugal juicers, they are not as versatile, they have limited food processing capabilities.
- Extra time and effort is required.
The juicer work as such, that after the substance is mechanically grated, the grated pulp needs to be placed in the juicing bag, the filled bag on the juicing platform and after the juice has been pressed, each bag needs to cleaned out,washed and stored in the fridge.
At the end of the day, there are different strokes for different folks.Remember any juicer is better than no juicer. Juicing is a discipline, it will cost you time, but you will gain immeasurable health and vitality by juicing regularly.
Adding sprouts to your diet is an easy way to gain mega loads of living building blocks needed for vitality and good health. Sprouts offer a tremendous amount of nutrients for its size and it’s easy, cost effective and practical to implement in your diet.
“Sprouts are baby plants in their prime. At this stage of their growth, they have a greater concentration of proteins, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, RNA, DNA, bio-flavonoids, etc., than at any other point in the plant’s life – – even when compared with the mature vegetable.” SPROUTS the Miracle Food, p7, Steve Meyerowitz
Why should one add sprouting to one’s life style?
1. “Enzymes, sprouts are an excellent source of enzymes, which are the “sparks of life” and help fight degenerative diseases, such as cancer and arthritis”p13, Sprouts, Kathleen O’Bannon, CNC.
2. They contain mega loads of nutrients, all in synergy.
3. It is economical to produce home grown sprouts.
4. It is a fresh food all year round.
5. It is easy to grow and very rewarding and educational for children.
6. It boosts your immune system.
7. It prevents disease.
How to sprout?
1. Soak; always soak the seeds overnight in pure water.
2. Drain and rinse.
3. Place the sprouts in a glass jar and cover the opening with a fine cloth that will allow drainage of excess water and breathing, or cover the sprouts with some sort of loose protection such as a hemp sprout bag.
4. Rinse and drain the sprouts with pure water 2-3 times per day.
5. Depending on the type of seed that is sprouted, it should be ready to use after a few days of sprouting. When they are ready, rinse, drain, refrigerate and use when needed.
Remember to sprout in a hygienic environment, using pure water. Expose the sprouts to sunlight after germination, and refrigerate once ready.
Most people think healthy living is boring and cannot satisfy the taste buds. On the contrary! Once you’ve become accustomed to the natural, healthy, nutritious food and drink sources, the commercially processed beverages and snacks do not appeal to the taste buds anymore.
With a super blender we make delicious homemade:
- Fruit juices
- Yogurt drinks
- Salad dressings and
- Many more creative drinks, with natural and fresh ingredients, loaded with building blocks,free from harmful colorants, preservatives and chemicals.
Important blending considerations:
1. Shelf life
Blended food should be used sparingly and immediately, due to oxidation.
2. Digestive – Enzymes
With blending and if swallowed immediately, the body does not chew nor secrete enzymesin the mouth, needed for digestion,, and it is difficult for the stomach to recognize the food type. It is therefore important to drink slowly and to swirl the food in the mouth, so doing mimicking chewing, in order to secrete the correct type of enzymes.
3. Jaw formation
When we drink smoothies and meal drinks too often, we again under-stimulate the jawbone and dental arches, which for childrencould result in underdeveloped dental arches and the development of crooked teeth. An underdeveloped dental archpresents the problem of literally not allowing enough space for all the teeth.
The occasional smoothie should preferably always be in conjunction with whole nuts, a whole apple or carrot, i.e. healthy foods that require proper chewing.
In summary, a super blender is a wonderful modern kitchen aid to be utilized, but we need to use it in moderation and with wisdom.
Dehydrating is a natural process by which we preserve foods. Blowing hot dry air over certain foods will dehydrate and remove the moist out of the food product, leaving the preserved enzymes, vitamins, and minerals intact, to be used at a later time.
A few reasons one should add dehydrating to one’s life style
- Soaking and drying of grains and nuts deactivate enzyme inhibitors.
“Whole grains also contain enzyme inhibitors that can interfere with digestion. Traditional societies usually soak and ferment their grains before eating them, processes that neutralize phytates and enzyme inhibitors …”P25, NOURISHING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon
- To store and preserve a food source that is in abundance at a given time, especially home grown vine ripened fruits,thus not spoiling excess foods..
- To produce unleavened dried bread crackers or sticks.
Typical foods that could be dehydrated:
- Most vegetables
- Apricots, peaches
- Mango’s etc.
Important Dehydrating considerations:
If any moisture remains, store these foods in the freezer and/or refrigerator to prevent mould.
Ensure that your selected dehydrator have accurate temperature control. Always select a temperature below 43 deg C (113deg F), to prevent enzyme loss during dying.
It is always useful for the experienced healthy-living individual to plan ahead. If past dehydrating records have been kept, and one is familiar with drying times of different foods, one can accurately estimate and set the dehydrating time to complete dehydration and not waste unnecessary power.
4. Vacuum packed – Storage
To keep valuable dehydrated foods tasty and nutritious for even longer, this modern process is of real value.Having said all that, there is a healthy, very economical alternative to conventional dehydrating, and that is the SUN! A fantastic cost saving option. A good oven with an accurate and proper temperature control could also serve the same purpose.
Fermentation of foods is another proven ancestral way to preserve and store in-season food, i.e. fresh fruit and vegetables, to allow them to be used throughout the year. In addition to that, the taste is much more palatable, not to mention the value of the health and healing properties added to the vegetables, by using this process.
Why should one add fermenting to one’s life style?
- It is another super healthy way to store and preserve a food source that is now in abundance, thus not waste or spoil excess foods, especially vegetables, to be enjoyed throughout the year.
- It’s a very economical way to preserve food. No heat source or preservative is required.
- “The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels.” P89, NOURISHING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon
- Prevents decay in the bowls; “Lactic acid bacteria prevent decay not only in food products but in the bowls as well.” .” P11 Making Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables at home, Klaus Kaufmann, Dsc and Annelies Schöneck
- Stimulates peristaltic movements of the intestines; “Acetylcholine, which is produced during fermentation, stimulates peristaltic movement in the intestines.” .” P11 Making Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables at home, Klaus Kaufmann, Dsc and Annelies Schöneck
- “It prevents constipation by promoting bowel movements” P11 Making Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables at home, Klaus Kaufmann, Dsc and Annelies Schöneck
Typical types of fermented foods:
“In Europe the principal lacto-fermented food is sauerkraut. Described in Roman texts, it was prized for both its delicious taste as well as its medicinal properties.” P89, NOURISHING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon
A fermented milk drink. Surely kefir is one of the ultimate health drinks.
In northern European countries, like the people in the Loetschental Valley in Switzerland, cheese making was a way to preserve the highly nutritious and mineral rich milk for the cold winter months to come, where access to milk would be limited, due to harsh winter conditions.
By adhering to the 4 dairy rules, milk can be freely enjoyed: Your product must be:
- From raw milk, thus unpasteurized.
- Whole milk, thus full cream.
- Organic pasture reared, ensures that it’s nutrient and mineral rich, with no hormones, pesticides and other chemicals.
- Fermented, the lactose and casein is predigested and broken down. When kefir is used it contains a bonus of extra healthy flora.
“Eating in Russia and the Balkans is unthinkable without lactic-fermented products. There, people have long enjoyed kefir and yogurt, as well as a fermented product common to North Americans, sourdough bread. The Russian national dish, kapusta, is a mixture of white cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, apples, pears, cucumbers and lots of herbs.” P10 Making Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables at home, Klaus Kaufmann, Dsc and Annelies Schöneck
Fermentation as a process to naturally preserve raw foods, is a vital traditional skill that has been lost and forgotten by modern man. Fermentation is almost a sure remedy to restore gut health that was compromised due to the modern food and unnatural medical interventions. Make fermented foods a priority in your lifestyle and you too can experience improved health with no added cost.
Eggs, Meat, Dairy-products and Sea food
Before continuing with this section, I think it is needful to briefly review the Nutritional Life Style Selection page.
THE NEED FOR MEAT – The following quote serves as a good summary:
“Not only is it difficult to obtain adequate protein on a diet devoid of animal products, but such a diet often leads to deficiencies in many important minerals as well. This is because a largely vegetarian diet lacks the fat-soluble catalyst needed for mineral absorption.” P27, NOURISING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon
The saying; “You are what you eat”, also applies to animals. Thus it is important to know what the food chain of the animal you are going to enjoy, consisted of. We need to pay a lot more attention to our food sources, types, quality and apply common sense.
The following animal protein subheadings are well explained in my book.
1. Wise meat selection and Important meat considerations:
2. Seafood and More Sea food considerations
3. Milk & Milk products
4. The reasons why modern milk products cause health problems:
Pasteurization cause Calcification of arteries
“The bioavailability of calcium in milk relies primarily on the integrity of unheated protein carriers found naturally in milk. The heat of pasteurization is enough to denature these proteins …. to keep them from delivering calcium to the tissues sites where it is supposed to go. The three-dimensional configuration of these denatured proteins is completely changed by pasteurization, and the new configuration is just incapable of performing this vital calcium delivery function. But calcium is nevertheless absorbed, even though it is not properly delivered, and so it accumulates in the wrong places throughout the body.
What do these abnormal calcium accumulations do? Quite simply, they cause or facilitate virtually every degenerative disease known. The calcium deposits in a rocklike form. The classic manifestation of these deposits occurs in the blood vessels, notably in the coronary (heart) arteries. The deposits either block these arteries or serve as a starting point for other artery-blocking substances to accumulate. When an artery blocks off completely, a heart attack is usually the result. …
Otto et al. published a study showing that aortic sclerosis, a condition in which the lining of the aorta (the main artery coming from the heart) is rigidly inflexible and pipe-like, is associated with a 50% greater chance of death from a heart attack and heart related causes.
In a review article, Doherty et al. seem mystified as to where the epidemic coronary arteries could be coming from. In my opinion, the enormous consumption of milk (pasteurized milk products), in combination with the widespread ingestion of calcium supplements, accounts for the epidemic of body tissue calcification quite nicely.” Optimum Nutrition for Optimal Health, p.75-76, Thomas E. Levy, M.D., J.D.
5. Growth Hormones
7. Dairy products and its considerations
8. Eggs – The silver bullet!
And lastly but certainly not the least, “Growing children and pregnant woman need plenty of fat-soluble vitamins found in butter, cream, fish, fish eggs, eggs and organ meats.” P57, NOURISING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon.
9. Oils & Fats
Our bodies need a combination of oils and fats, all in the right proportion.
There is a plethora of reasons, but let’s touch on the basics. Remember you do not need a PhD for healthy living. All you need is a sound and renewed mind, and common sense based on wisdom and discernment.
1. Digestion and absorption:
“When Dr. Price analyzed this deep yellow butter he found that it was exceptionally high in all fat-soluble vitamins, particularly vitamin A. He called these vitamins “catalysts” or “activators”. Without them, according to Dr. Price, we are not able to utilize the minerals we ingest, no matter how abundant they may be in our diets. He also believed fat-soluble vitamins to be necessary for absorption of the water-soluble vitamins” P16, NOURISING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon.
“Many studies have shown the importance of butter and reproduction; its absence results in “nutrient castration”, the failure to bring out male and female sexual characteristics. As butter consumption in America has declined, sterility rates and problems with sexual development have increased. … They rightly believed such foods to be necessary for fertility and optimum development of the children.” P16, NOURISING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon.
“The demonized saturated fats – which Americans are trying to avoid – are not the cause of our modern diseases. In fact, they play many important roles in the body chemistry:
- Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50 percent of the cell membranes, giving them necessary stiffness and integrity for them to function properly.
- They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50 percent of the dietary fats should be saturated.
- They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.
- They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.
- They enhance the immune system.
- They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids. Elongated emega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats.
- Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the perfect foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated. The heart draws on this reserve in fat, during times of stress.
- Short- and medium- chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
The scientific evidence, honestly evaluated, does not support the assertion that “artery-clogging” saturated fats cause heart disease. Actually, evaluation of the fat in the artery clogs reveals that only about 26 percent is saturated. The rest is unsaturated, of which more than half is polyunsaturated.” P11, NOURISING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon
Oils and fats we recommend for daily use:
1. Olive oil, ideal for salad dressings, and for cooking at moderate temperatures.
2. Coconut oil, for cooking and frying.
3. Butter, on bread and steamed vegetables, porridge, etc. Use 1-3 tee-spoons of organic and raw butter with each meal per day. It helps with digestion and absorption of nutrients.
“Omega-6 and omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids: These occur in butter, in small and nearly equal amounts. This excellent balance between linoleic and linolenic acids prevents the kind of problems associated with over consumption of omega-6 fatty acids.” P17, NOURISING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon.
4. Finely ground, fresh flax- or chia- seeds over cereals and salads.
5. SLAP is an acronym forfreshly shopped, Sunflower seeds, Lin (flax)seeds, Almonds and Pumpkin seeds. SLAP is a good source of all the essential fatty acids in balance with other nutrients in synergy. Use a full teaspoon of each seed plus 7 almonds.
6. Pure Cod liver oil, from a reputable supplier. A teaspoon per day.
7. Pharmaceutical grade Omega 3 fish oils purified from Mercury and other toxins. 1000mg per day.
Eliminate all Trans fats (i.e. margarine and the standard cooking oils on the shelves) from your diet and use a good quality olive oil instead. The olive oil should be extra virgin, cold pressed (preferably the first pressing) in a tinted glass container (explained below). The use of butter, extra virgin coconut oil or palm fruit oil, is also an option. Rancid plant fats are fat soluble toxins with free radicals, and must be strictly avoided. These toxic oils cause elevated cholesterol levels, which again is an attempt of the body to protect its host.
Furthermore ensure these products are properly packaged. There are two types of oxidization, oxygen- oxidization, as with rust,similar to rust and photo-oxidization, i.e. unwanted exposure to light.To avoid these, packaging or bottling needs to be air tight and sealed, and only dark, tinted bottling used.
Coconut or palm-fruit oils are very stable oils, and can be stored in plastic containers. I recommend a food-grade poly-ethylene or polypropylene; as they are stable polymers suitable for food storage.
“In summary, our choice of fats and oils is one of extreme importance. Most people, especially infants and growing children, benefit from more fat in the diet than less. But the fats that we eat must be chosen with care. Avoid all processed foods containing newfangled hydrogenated fats and polyunsaturated oils. Instead, use traditional vegetable oils like extra virgin olive oil … Acquaint yourself with the merits of coconut oil for baking and with animal fats for occasional frying. Eat egg yolks and other animal fats with the proteins to which they are attached. And, finally, use as much good quality butter as you like, with the happy assurance that it is wholesome-indeed, an essential–food for you and your whole family.” P20, NOURISING TRADITIONS, Sally Fallon.
Again, you cannot go wrong if you just “GO NATURAL”, and steer away from manmade, unwise, quick fix solutions. The result is not only increased good health, but less worries due to fewer choices, hence simplified shopping. It is either natural or it is not. A quick and easy decision!
10. Super foods
- A “Super food” is a food source that isabove average in nutrient content, i.e., minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, proteins, essential oils, etc, and it’s a
- A condensed nutrient source.
Why should one consider a super food?
- To boost the immune system.
- For accelerated healing.
- It’s anti-aging.
- For vitality
- They are very tasty.
- To speed up detoxification.
Super foods have already become somewhat of a buzz word and marketing tool, thus when choosing these, wisdom and common sense is required.
Typical vegan super foods
- Brazil nuts, known for its high amount of Selenium as a super and much needed antioxidant. Actually, most nut varieties can be seen as a super food.
- Chia seeds
- Camu Camu
- Cacao. It is very rich in antioxidants. No other fruit on our planet contains so much antioxidants by mass. It does however, contain stimulants teobromine and caffeine.
- Flax seeds
- Goji and most berries. Most berries are above average in concentration of antioxidants, certainly higher than most modern stone fruits, apples and pears.
- Kelp powder
- Hemp powder
- Blue algae
- The list is growing as man is discovering more and more astonishing food types God created for us to enjoy.
After studying and considering primitive and ancestral wisdom and literature, I would consider adding the following ancestral hunter-gatherer super foods. Most of the primitive/traditional races nourished expectant mothers (and fathers) with their super foods, before conception, during pregnancy and while lactating. They understood the importance of spacing between children, as the mother’s body needs time to recover and regain lost nutrients and strength from the pregnancy, throughout lactating, as extra time and energy is required to raise a new-born. It is worth your while to research Dr Weston A Price’s anthropological studies and a superb health asset is his book NUTRITION and PHYSICAL DEGENERATION, filled with traditional wisdom.
Remember it is not necessarily the product; but the quality and type of product that will make a world of difference.
Important considerations are:
- Ensure that the product is organic, nutrient rich, and without toxins.
- Avoid toxic, unnatural preservatives, or anything in a box.
- Avoid irradiated products ..
- Use fresh products only. No nutrients should be oxidized.
- The product should be in its natural and raw state.
Traditional super foods:
- Bee Pollen
- Cheese, Butter, & Milk “Some dehydrated foods dried under the correct conditions, could supply condensed nutrients.
- Juice, fresh home made garden trio (green, red and yellow) vegetable juice.
- Bone marrow and bone broth.
- Organ meats
- Dried fish eggs
- Pemmican, a dried meat powder mixed with saturated animal fats, dried cranberries and maple syrup.
- Biltong and “droë wors”.
I recommend a combination of the traditional and known vegan super foods in one’s daily diet.
The reader can be assured that when these 10 Healthy Nutritional Suggestions are properly adhered to, the body will be optimally nourished.
- Self growing Stronger developed children.
- Self maintaining Less accelerated aging with optimum vitality
- Self protecting A strong immune system
- Self healing Faster recovery from injuries
New research from Oxford University has just proven that a healthy lifestyle dramatically reduces the risk of cancer. It is not surprising.
With Go Natural’s 10 Step Nutritional Program you can enjoy numerous long-term and sustainable health benefits, just as our predecessors once did:
- maintain your ideal body weight
- improve vitality
- side-step the health land-mines (toxins and diseases)
- save big by spending less on medical bills and vitamin supplements
- have peace of mind
- have fun!
Healthy living is exciting and enjoyable! For many it is a whole new journey with immeasurable health benefits. I invite you to take responsibility for your own health, by using and consuming what God in His infinite wisdom, has created for you and me to enjoy!